Hatha Yoga Asana :- Uttitha Trikonasana
English Name: Extended Triangle Yoga
Uttitha Meaning – Extended
Trikon Meaning – Triangular
Asana Meaning – Pose
How to do Trikonasana/ Extended Triangle Pose Yoga
- Uttitha Trikonasana is a Hatha Yoga Pose and it is also a part of the standing asanas in the Ashtanga Yoga Primary Series.
- Stand straight and then step the right foot out so there is approximately 3 – 4 ½ feet distance between both your feet. Make sure your toes and heels are aligned.
- Turn the right foot out, 90 degrees and turn the left foot in slightly. Ground the feet by spreading the bottom of the foot wide and lifting the knee caps upwards.
- Stretch the arms out, shoulder blades down and palms facing the floor. Inhale deeply and as you exhale extend your torso to the right directly over the plane of the right leg, bending from the hip joint, not the waist.
- Rest your right hand on your shin, ankle, or the floor outside your right foot. Stretch your left arm toward the ceiling, in line with the tops of your shoulders. Turn your head upwards and gaze towards the ceiling.
- Hold this for at least five long, deep breaths. As you inhale, come up, strongly pressing the back heel into the floor, reaching the top arm upwards to pull you to standing.
- Reverse the feet and repeat for the same length of time to the left.
- Whether you practice the pose in a Hatha Yoga class or in a Ashtanga yoga class, there are numerous benefits of Uttitha Trikonasana
Benefits Of Extended Triangle Yoga / Trikonasana
- Strengthens the thighs, knees, and ankles. It improves deformed or weak legs, tight hamstrings, knee and ankle problems and flat feet. The legs have to be strong and stable to find steadiness in the pose. This is achieved by pulling the muscles of the legs and the knee caps upwards. This stretches the muscles and over time will build strength.
- As the hips and waist are stretched and strengthened, excess fat in these areas is reduced.
- Strengthens the back. It can also correct a hunched back and if practiced regularly, will banish backache forever.
- Stimulates the abdominal organs. This aids in digestion, relieving constipation and indigestion, restoring the digestive fire and stimulating appetite.
- Helps relieve stress and is beneficial for decreasing anxiety
Stay in touch to learn more :- http://www.facebook.com/ShreyasRetreat
Follow us :- http://twitter.com/shreyasretreat