For many of us Autumn is a beautiful time of the year – the weather cools down, the leaves take on vibrant colors. However, this season can be very challenging for the body and its health. The fluctuations in temperature can lead to colds, coughs and other diseases.
It seems that the body is just reacting to the external weather, but Auyrvedic theory tells us that there is a lot more going on internally which makes this a challenging time of the year. According to Ayurveda all of nature is bound by the relationship among the three doshas or tendencies of the body. These doshas exist in different quantities in everything. Each dosha has different attributes which it brings with it and these have an influence on all life.
Vata dosha is associated with air and ether.
Pita dosha is associated with fire.
Kapha is associated with earth and water.
During summer the balance of pita in the body is aggravated, but as autumn approaches Vata begins to assert itself. When Vata dosha takes over for these few months, its restless, sweeping quality can throw your off balance. Constipation, dry skin, irregular appetite, lack of sleep, stress, fatigue – imbalance of Vata can cause all of these problems and more. These in turn can wear doing the defenses of our body, making us more prone to disease, including diseases of the mind.
It becomes essential for us to balance Vata in the body during this season. These home remedies can be of help:
1. Turmeric Tea:
Add 1 table spoon of turmeric powder to 4 cups of water and slow boil for 10 minutes. Strain using a fine strainer if necessary, and then mix in a little honey and lemon. Drink this turmeric tea twice in a day. It’s beneficial for all types of cold, cough, sore throat, and other respiratory problems.
2. Garlic Tomato Soup:
Take four cloves of garlic, crush them & extract the juice. Mash two tomatoes and then add 2 tea spoons of lemon juice, along with the garlic to make an antibacterial and antiviral drink.
3. Tulsi Tea:
Put 15 washed leaves of tulsi into 1.5 cups of water. Boil for 10 minutes and strain this liquid. Mix 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and drink while still warm. Lemon juice contains vitamin C and this in combination with the medicinal ingredients of the tulsi will improve your immunity against the cold.
4. Ginger – Basil Decoration: Take 1 tsp of crushed basil leaves,1 tsp of crushed ginger, extract the juices from both basil leaves & ginger, then add 1 tsp of honey with the extracts. Drink the preparations 4 times in a day.
5. A cup of hot milk with a pinch of turmeric and pepper can cure throat irritation.
6. Gargling with salt water and steaming (vaporizers containing water and a few drops of eucalyptus oil) will cure throat and nose infections.
7. Fruit juices like orange and sweet lime are safe to drink. The citrus fruits cleanse the body and remove toxins. A hot cup of lemon juice with honey strengthens the body’s immunity to fight diseases
8. Eating light and non spicy food, sufficient quantity of water intake & a good sleep will also help to come out of this pathological condition.
Learn Traditional Yoga Practices Visit Shreya’s Yoga Retreats
Stay in Touch On Facebook :- http://www.facebook.com/ShreyasRetreat
Follow us :– http://twitter.com/shreyasretreat